The palace, commissioned by the Duke of Urbino Federico da Montefeltro, was built in the course of the fifteenth century in successive phases. Among the many workers who were employed we remember the three architects who had the merit of making the building one of the most excellent palaces of the Renaissance period: the Florentine Maso di Bartolomeo, the Dalmatian Luciano Laurana and the Sienese Francesco di Giorgio Martini.
The Doge's Palace underwent various stages of development and the Dalmatian architect Luciano Laurana essentially contributed to it.
The oldest nucleus, known as Palazzetto della Jole, was built by the will of Federico's father, Count Guidantonio, and starting from it and from the square below in 1454 the work was started by the sculptor-architect of Bartolomeo. The most famous façade, that of the Torricini, characterized by two soaring turrets with their 6 windows on the sides of a 3-storey volume with balcony arches, is attributed to Laurana, as is the Studiolo del Duca, one of the masterpieces of Renaissance art. best preserved, practically intact, entirely frescoed and inlaid by Flemish artists. The Dalmatian architect is also credited with rooms on the noble floor such as the Staircase of Honor, the Library, the Throne Room, the Hall of Angels, the Audience Hall. The building was completed by the architect, engineer and artist of Giorgio Martini who added a complex water system, revolutionary and innovative for the time, to the building. The Della Rovere dynasty, which succeeded the Montefeltro in the 16th century, further expanded the already mammoth building by adding a second noble floor, the Roveresco Apartment.