860-880 Lake Shore Drive is a twin pair of glass and steel apartment towers on N. Lake Shore Drive along Lake Michigan in the Streeterville neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois USA. Construction began in 1949 and was completed in 1951. The towers were added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 28, 1980 and were designated as Chicago's landmarks on June 10, 1996.
The 26-storey and 82m-high towers were designed by the architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and nicknamed the "Glass House" apartments. The construction was by the Chicago builder Herbert Greenwald and the Sumner S. Sollitt Company.
The design principles, first expressed in the 1921 Friedrichstrasse Skyscraper competition in Berlin and built thirty years later at 860-880 Lake Shore Drive, have been widely copied and are now considered characteristic of modern International style as well as essential for development of modern high-tech architecture.
Latest post from the blog
for Archweb Users
for premium users
- SINGLE PURCHASE
pay 1 and download 1