Castel del Monte is a 13th-century
fortress built by the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II in the western Murge plateau in Puglia, in the current hamlet of the municipality of Andria, 17 km from the city, near the town of Santa Maria del Monte, in the province of Barletta-Andria-Trani, on the top of a hill, at 540 meters above sea level
Inserted in the list of Italian national monuments in 1936 (repealed in 2010) and in that of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1996, in 2014 it was the thirtieth most visited Italian state site.
The building has an octagonal plan (external side: 10.30 m interval between the towers plus diameter of each tower: 7.90 m) and an octagonal turret (2.70 m side) is inserted at each corner, while the octagon that corresponds to the internal courtyard has sides whose size varies between 6.89 m and 7.83 m. The diameter of the internal courtyard is 17.86 m. The diameter of the entire castle is 40 m, while the diameter of each tower is 7.90 m. The towers are 23 m high and slightly exceed the height of the walls of the internal courtyard (20.50 m).
See the Castel del Monte dwg drawings>